Take Steps To Promote A Smooth Divorce
If you talk to anyone who’s been divorce, none of them enjoyed the experience. Stipulating that much, it’s also true that every divorce is different, and some are much more challenging than others. Doing what you can to alleviate common problems really comes down to some common sense ideas.
- Try to think clearly instead of letting your emotions fuel your decisions. You may be experiencing a crazy mixture of feelings, from anger to sadness and regret, but this is a big deal, and you need to bring your best self to the negotiating table.
- Get an experienced attorney who’s willing to fight for your priorities. Never share an attorney with your soon-to-be ex, as you will not have a legal advocate in that situation.
- Be realistic about your future. Whether you instigated the divorce or your partner did, life is about to change. Some of it will be difficult and exasperating; some of it will be magical and delightful. Expect both.
- If your ex is not to be trusted, get a bead on the types of maneuvers you may have to prepare for. In some divorces, there are issues with hidden assets, manipulations involving the kids, untrue accusations, and, frankly, just about anything you can imagine. Your divorce attorney can help to deal with any of these kinds of issues
- Understand your family finances. Try to get a handle on assets and debt so that you can’t be manipulated and so you won’t have to deal with unpleasant surprises later.
- Be fair. While it’s true that you really deserve to keep the four-wheelers, you have to be willing to give something up. When you get through with this whole thing, you’re still going to have to live with yourself, so make sure you still like that person.
- Put the kid’s interests first. While it’s understandable that you want to have the kids every single Christmas, it may not be the best situation for the kids. As you’re considering visitation and support issues, show the love for your children by being fair with their other parent.
- Listen to your Boca Raton attorney. A good attorney is committed to achieving the best possible results for you. Their advice is based on experience and knowledge of the law. While no attorney can predict every scenario, an accomplished lawyer can provide solid guidance going forward.
If you are considering a divorce or have been jilted by your spouse, you need an experienced Boca Raton divorce attorney from WiseLieberman to help you get through the coming weeks and months. To discuss your situation and evaluate us, schedule a confidential consultation in our office today.